Dividend Income Update – December 2011

2011 is just about behind us, and with December’s dividends recorded, I have my first full year of dividends received and documented! I feel like a big first step has been taken on my journey toward financial independence. It feels great. It’s been a  year of ups and downs, and I’ve learned a lot along the way. All in all, I feel that 2011 was a great success as my first full year of investing. I’m on my way!

The dividend income I received for December was the most I’ve ever received. It’s my biggest month to date, and I’m really excited. One day I hope to look back on this month and see that this was the turning point. The point where I can start to see how passive income by way of dividends can replace my full-time work. I’m still a long way off, but December was a big success.

I hope these monthly dividend income reports provide inspiration for any investors out there that are just starting out. It’s easy to see these payments rising month after month and it shows that it’s possible to one day pay for monthly expenses with dividends, which would provide an investor opportunities and freedom to pursue other interests than full-time work. Without further ado:

December 2011 Dividends Received

• Aflac Incorporated (AFL) – $24.42
  • Intel Corporation (INTC) – $15.12
  • ConocoPhillips (COP) – $36.30
  • Harris Corporation (HRS) – $11.20
  • Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) – $15.51
  • Chevron Corporation (CVX) – $20.25
  • Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) – $39.90
  • McDonald’s Corporation (MCD) – $9.80
  • The Coca-Cola Company (KO) – $9.40

Total dividends received for the month of December: $181.90

A superb month. This was my biggest month so far, and I’m excited for the day that I eclipse the $200 monthly dividend income mark. It took quite a large chunk of my portfolio to hit this number, so my excitement is tempered by cautious optimism.

I’ve been chasing a goal to receive $1,200 in dividend income for the year of 2011, and at times I was confident that I was going to just miss that goal. Well, I’m extremely happy to report that with December’s dividends I have received a grand total of $1,202.06! Whew! That was close! I don’t think I could have put that goal any closer had I tried. I figured it would be a challenging, but achievable goal and it was very challenging and I just barely achieved it. I’m very proud of myself for exceeding my goal. I’m very excited for what 2012 brings and I’m ready to get the year started.

I’ll update my dividend income page to reflect December’s dividends.

Full Disclosure: I’m long AFL, INTC, HRS, COP, XOM, CVX, KO, MCD, JNJ

Photo Credit: sscreations

Comments

Congratulations DM, good job. 1200 a year is 100 a month, and thats a big milestone. I hope to cross it sometime next year. I know some may snicker at a mere 100 dollars, but I look at it this way, 100 a month pays my water bill and most of my electric. For the REST of your life, lol. Thats pretty good to think about:}

Congratulations on reaching your yearly goal! You remain a source of inspiration as I complete my 8th month of dividend investing. I am a good bit
      below your numbers but am already excited by my modest gains. Have a
      great 2012 (in all respects) and I look forward to following your progress next
      year.

High Yield Soldier,

Thanks for stopping by! Congrats on getting your own blog started. Best wishes with that.

Yeah, by investing in quality companies with economic moats you are ensuring that you’ll be receiving a rising stream of income for (hopefully) a very long time. $100 doesn’t sound like a lot of money to most people, but to me it represents a big step up on the passive income ladder.

A 5,000 mile journey always starts with one step.

Take care and best of luck with your investment goals.

cashflowmantra,

Thanks for stopping by. I made it, just barely. That was forecasting a weatherman would be jealous of! :)

I’ll be publishing my goals very shortly after I review how I did for 2011. Stay tuned.

MoneyCone,

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your support throughout 2011.

Thanks a ton for the well wishes and I also wish you a very prosperous 2012. May it bring you much joy!

Partisan,

Hey, congrats on meeting your goals. It feels great setting a mark and crossing it successfully. Thanks for the encouragement. I plan on being even more aggressive investing than I was in 2011!

Best of luck for 2012.

Congrats on entering your 8th month of dividend investing. You’re not that far behind me in terms of time as I’m somewhere around 19 months in. I hope you continue to see success.

Thanks for the well wishes. They’re appreciated and it’s the encouragement I get on this site that keeps me going and keeps me publishing inspiration.

deedubs,

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I know we’re pretty similar in terms of portfolio value/dividend totals so I’m looking forward to seeing your progress throughout 2012 as well!

Keep in touch.

Henry,

Thanks!

I know you’ll do great in 2012. You’re dedicated and you’re saving even more money than I am. I thought I was frugal at saving ~60% of my income, but you’re leaving me in the dust.

Best wishes for your 2012!

My Own Advisor,

Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to seeing your updates throughout 2012, as I’m nowhere near your numbers but your updates are definitely inspiring.

Thanks for your support throughout 2011. It’s very much appreciated. Take care!

wow you really cut it close there. Congratulations. I am excited to follow your journey in 2012. Your blog is the best because you are completely honest and very transparent, plus you come up with good articles.

Oh I picked up some EMR yesterday, thanks for the tip on that one. I never paid much attention to it until this past month.

Stuart,

I did cut it close! Thanks for that. I appreciate the compliments. I’m glad that people appreciate the transparency. I’m glad you enjoy it, and I’m doing my best to inspire and be inspired!

Great job on EMR. You got in at a better price than I did…again! Good stuff. I thought it was attractive at $50, but if it stays in the mid to high $40′s I may double down on it next month. It’s really just a solid company. EMR was actually one of two companies, with INTC being the second, that I wrote about recently on The Div-Net discussing two dividend companies showing price weakness.

Best of luck with your new position and keep in touch.

Its posts like this that inspire me. I began dividend investing in March, but have only purchased enough stock to give me about $50/yr income…almost all of that stock was purchased in March itself. I’m going to try and invest $500/mo in dividend stocks in 2012.

Thanks for the inspiration!

TheBigK,

Hey, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I’m really glad that these posts inspire. That is the main reason I write these articles, other than for my own record keeping.

You’ve started the journey and that’s the most important thing. you gotta start somewhere, and you have started the long road.

Best of luck on your investing journey. Keep in touch!

Monk,

Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate the support. December is by far my best showing. It feels good to receive dividends from quality companies.

Cheers to you as well and I wish you a great 2012. Look forward to following you next year!

Great job for 2011! I ended up with roughly the same amount in dividends in 2011. My goal was $1200 and I passed that in December. I did some readjusting of my portfolio in Nov. and Dec. to get rid of some picks where I was chasing yield and now I’m super happy with where I’m positioned.

Initially I said $3000 in dividends for 2012, but after readjusting my portfolio I think a challenging goal might be in the $1800-$2400 range. I look forward to your updated goals and hope you don’t mind I will be tagging along in 2012.

Cheers to all the dividend investors out there and let’s make it happen in 2012. Happy New Years to all…

DPS

Congrats on hitting your goals DM! Thanks for blogging about your journey, its always a good read. I’m looking forward to seeing your 2012 goals.

Hey Dividend Mantra

Congrats on making your numbers. I had been doing some research on dividends and came across your page. Very educational, thanks

I have been a longtime holder of pengrowth (pgh) and bell aliant (TSE:BA) and very happy with the monthly returns but not comfortable with the bulk of my eggs in one or two baskets. I have also looked at enerplus corp (ERF) but only briefly.

Have you looked at any of the Canadian (BA) or energy stocks, (pgf or erf)

Cheers

DPS,

Glad to see you around! Hope all was well over the holidays.

You and I are pretty well on the same page then. I’ll hope to be somewhere in that $1,800-$2,400 range for 2012 as well. Let’s hope we both make it!!

I hear you on chasing yield and becoming comfortable with the portfolio. My yield chasing days are over after that TEF debacle.

Best wishes for your 2012!

BigJ,

Thanks! I appreciate it. I’m glad to see you keeping in touch.

I’m nowhere near your dividend level, keep up your great work! You have some huge numbers there.

ägamintid,

Hey. Happy New Year to you as well! I hope all is well in Sweden. It looks like you had a great 2011 as well.

I wish you the best of luck in 2012 as well. Let’s keep each other motivated!

Roger,

Welcome! I’m glad you stumbled across my humble little space on the internet.

I haven’t done a lot of research on individual Canadian equities, but I see there are plenty of solid picks in the energy and finance space up there. My only international energy play right now is Total S.A. (TOT), but that could change in the future once the core of the portfolio is fully established.

I don’t know if you’ve been there yet, but Dividend Ninja (www.dividendninja.com) has a lot of research and analysis on Canadian equities. I’ll eventually move into that space once all my domestic holdings are purchased.

Cheers. Keep in touch!

Stuart,

Awesome! Glad to see you joining the blogging crowd. Great portfolio there, I’ll make sure to stop by often.

The great thing for you is that you not only have the compounding machine to distribute money to you in retirement, but you’ll also have that lucrative military pension and, eventually, SS. Great stuff man! You’ve got a great level of diversification not only in the portfolio, but also retirement income sources.

Thanks for your service. I’ll make sure to stop by.